Happy Pi Day! Get it, March 14? 3/14?
Oh yeah, you know this … and it is time to geek out HARD today even though it’s literally irrational to do so … see what we did there?!
You don’t have to be a math major to appreciate and celebrate this occasion, though if you are one, you don’t need us to explain why.
Pi, which is technically 22/7 but is usually rounded to 3.14, is named after the ratio of a Euclidean circle’s circumference to its diameter.
As awesome mathematical constants go?
You could say it’s kind of a big deal.
While we know Pi as 3.14, that’s an approximation. Pi has been calculated to a million-plus digits, making it infinitely cool.
(Again, see what we did there?!)
If you’re interested in celebrating this amazing holiday, and honestly, how can you not be, here are some great ways to mark Pi Day 2017:
– Listen to the Pi rap (above), which someone obviously made, because it’s the Internet … the lyrics are pretty unreal.
– Wish everyone a happy Pi Day just to see if anyone understands gets it. Film their reactions for added bonus points.
– Run a 5K. At 3.10 miles, that’s kinda close to 3.14.
– Put your lighters up and wave your hands in the air like you just don’t care at 1:59:26 p.m. this afternoon (Pi = 3.1415926…)!
– Doodle that cool ass symbol for Pi if you’re on hold with any customer service people or just killing time in class.
– Celebrate Albert Einstein’s birthday. Which it is!
– Bake an Apple Pi (or whip up a Pumpkin or Cherry or even a peanut butter pie recipe or whatever you’re into).
The last of these ideas is the best, probably.
After all, that wordplay is pretty much legendary, it’s gonna be awesome after dinner later, and pies are circular!!
Math never tasted so good, people.
To wit, check out this gallery of Pi Day pies and wonder how it took you so long to grasp the epic nature of March 14.